Cathedral tours, beginning at the Welcome Desk, last roughly an hour and provide a fascinating insight into the development of the Cathedral. Trained guides highlight key points of religious, architectural and historical interest, as well as recounting many stories associated with the Cathedral and explaining its ongoing work and significance today. The tours are at ground level inside the Cathedral. No booking is necessary.
The 2:00pm tour on Wednesday 29th March will not take place due to a funeral.
The Cathedral always provides something new to spot on every visit, but items to look out for include:
- the great West Front and portico
- the Romanesque arches of the nave and the unique painted wooden thirteenth century ceiling
- the medieval font
- the neo-gothic Victorian choir stalls and the stories they tell
- the chapels of St. Oswald, St. Benedict and St. Kyneburgha in the South Transept
- the crossing tower, rebuilt in the fourteenth century and then again by the Victorians
- the Cathedra, or Bishop's seat
- the High Altar
- the tomb of Queen Katharine of Aragon and the original burial place of Mary Queen of Scots
- the old Cathedral clock
- the Treasury
- the marvellous fan vaulting of the late fifteenth century 'New Building'
- the intriguing early ninth century Saxon sculpture known as the 'Hedda Stone' or 'Monks' Stone'
- the Holy Spirit Chapel in the Western Transept
- the pictures above the west doors of Robert Scarlett, the sixteenth century gravedigger who buried both queens.
Outside, in your own time, you can take in the peace of the cloisters and enjoy a wander round the Precincts to see where other buildings of the medieval monastery were located.
Cathedral ground tours are free to individual visitors. Donations will be invited at the end of the tour and will go towards Cathedral running costs. There is no need to book, just turn up, but check the top of this page in case the tour on a particular date has been cancelled due to a special event or service. If you have any queries please call 01733 355316 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For group bookings we make a charge for guided tours. For more information please use the following links.
Tour charges for Groups > Group Booking >